Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Motivation

One thing I have been asked quite a few times lately is where I am getting my motivation.  I have been on my health quest for almost 3 months now.  That’s almost 90 days.  In the 90 days I have thought about quitting maybe…I don’t know… 80 times!  But there are several things that keep me going.  One is my trainer.  She is constantly reminding me about why I am exercising, why I am avoiding my danger foods and why this will all be worth it.  I meet with her twice a week for a workout and for accountability.  We weigh in once a week and take all my measurements.  Often when we workout we are trying a new routine.  Variety is the best way to keep from getting bored with exercise.  She is great and I am lucky to have found her when I did.  Thanks Melissa!

Another place I get my motivation is from my friends and family.  When I started out I told everybody I know what I wanted to do.  Just knowing that someone will ask me how it’s going is enough to keep me on track.  What would be worse than to tell someone I had quit!  I also asked several people to write a word of encouragement on index cards.  I keep those cards handy and take them out at times I am finding it difficult to get up and move and I am reminded that others care and want me to succeed.  The same goes for Facebook.  I post what I am doing or have accomplished and I get all kinds of encouragement.

The third part of my motivation is results.  I admit I have been discouraged with the slow pace of my weight loss.  But there are other parts to this.  I have great calf muscles now!  My legs have started to really shape up.  I notice that my chin seems to be tightening up.  It’s the little differences that add up.  I am able to walk faster and longer.  I don’t get winded going up one flight of stairs.  I take pride in the fact that I can hold a plank for a whole minute.  All these things make me want to see, do and accomplish even more.

I think everyone gets their motivation from a different place.  Maybe journaling, writing down your goals, meditation or even a reward system (just not food rewards!) is what will work for you.  Find someone you trust who you can be accountable to.  Or go crazy like me and tell the world!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, guess what?! You're a guest author and you didn't even know it. :) Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work! ~Melissa (http://myjourneytolean.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/motivation-by-baby-steps-with-judy/)

    ReplyDelete