Saturday, November 20, 2010

My First Race

What a crazy morning!  And what a blast!
Let me back up...I met someone a couple of weeks ago who is an avid (addicted) runner.  He offered to help me get started.  He suggested I sign up and participate in the Wren Run, a run/walk 5K.  So I did. 

The week before the race, I had multiple dreams about the race.  My mind created all types of scenarios about what might happen.  It's no secret that I really fight some ridiculous fears about running and this was no exception.  But I was determined to see this through!  So I read up on what to wear, how to layer, what to eat, etc.  I set my alarm for early Saturday morning, a miracle for me!  I got up and dressed, ate a peanut butter sandwich and headed out. 

The first race, a mile run, was at 8 AM, so I watched and cheered the mostly under 10 group.  At 8:30 it was time to get in line for the 5K.  I got at the back of the group, assuming that's where the walkers would be.  With the starting whistle, everyone took off...running!  Not one walker!  YIKES!  I just stood there...and the fear took over.  I slinked away and carefully took off my race number.  I just couldn't start walking when everyone else was running!  I was about to get in my car and leave when Mike saw me.  He's the guy who had suggested I do this.  He asked why I wasn't walking and I (shamefully) explained why I had backed out.  He was so encouraging!  Before I knew what was happening, he had me on the move.  We actually went backwards!  He got me started, told me to walk towards the oncoming racers, then at the half-way point turn around and get in the back of the group so I could finish with them.  It worked!  I was still by far the last to finish, but I did FINISH!  I crossed the finish line at 51 minutes 5 seconds.  And I got my medal!  Actually, I got more than a medal.  I overcame another fear...failure.  I didn't fail! 
I DIDN'T FAIL!!! 

The next race will be easier.  I already know I can do it!  I have felt really emotional since the race.  Almost teary.  It's just such a great feeling to have accomplished something I wanted to do, made my mind up to do and finished.  It's a cool feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment