Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mood Eating

It's now late Sunday morning and for the past 36 hours I have been in a bad mood.  Friday afternoon at work was rough and it has just followed me into the weekend.  I have not worked out all weekend and yesterday I even ate a Reese's peanut butter cup!  I am wondering why it is that we react the way we do to stress and bad situations?  What did I think it would accomplish to sabotage myself?  Why did I think I would feel better by doing the wrong things?  I am finding that a huge part of this journey to be healthy has to do with learning about myself emotionally, spiritually, etc.  Why do I eat?  How did I get to this point to start with? 

I had never considered myself an emotional eater until I became so conscience of when, how and what I eat.  Now I see it...the pattern of turning to food for comfort.  I think in my mind it is something I have control of.  When things happen and I cannot control the outcome I look for that control in other places of my life.  I am thinking now that I need to find other actions/reactions to replace my self-destructive tendencies.  My better choice this weekend would have been to get to the gym and work out that frustration and anger.  And then to learn to face whatever the REAL problem is and find REAL solutions.  Maybe my next consultation should be with a shrink!  LOL

So today I am back on track.  Back to conscience eating.  Back to the gym.  Back to sanity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment