Thursday, November 11, 2010

Running

I remember a time in 7th grade when at gym I had to run around the soccer field one direction while an opponent ran the opposite direction in a race.  I won and the feeling was exuberance!  I was no athlete and was an overweight uncomfortable teen, so I never tried again.  For years I have felt like I had a runner deep inside of me buried under layers of fat waiting to get out.  The idea of the freedom of running and the feeling of your body moving so fluidly just appeals to me.  When I started working with my trainer, that was one goal I told her I had...to run. 

So far my running has been limited to the treadmill at the gym.  I try to run 30-45 seconds with 2-3 minutes of walking in between.  It's tough!  But there is definitely something about it that continues to pull me in.  I have a definite vision of myself crossing a finishing line.

Now I have signed up to run my first race, a 5K (about 3.1 miles) in March 2011.  Today I had a conversation with a friend of my sister Nancy who is an ultra marathon runner.  He has graciously volunteered to help me and it looks like we will be getting together in the next week or so.  God has a great way of bringing people into your life just when you need them, doesn't He?

I will keep you posted on my running training schedule.  Maybe next time I see you you won't recognize me!

No comments:

Post a Comment