Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Goals for 2011

I had a GREAT meeting with my personal trainer this past Monday.  Because of another nasty head cold I was not able to do any exercise, but we spent the time setting very specific goals for 2011.  I thought I'd share them with you.  It helps me keep on track knowing that so many people know what I am trying to accomplish.
So here goes:
  1. We set some specific weight loss goals.  Since I gained 1.6 pounds in December (due to stress from job loss and illness), Melissa felt that to get back on track I should have specific goals.  And I agree.  I am at 236.6 pounds.  The goal is 230 by Jan. 31st, 222 by Feb. 28th, 215 by Mar. 30th, 207 by Apr. 30th and 200 by May 31st.  It comes down to about 2 pounds per week.  That's more than I have been losing so I really have to ramp it up.
  2. In order to reach the weight goals I am going to stick to a 1500-1600 calorie diet.  I will go back to tracking my food and calories in a food journal.  My calories should be approximately 900 from carbs (healthy carbs), 250 from protein and 450 from healthy fats.
  3. I will walk 3 miles at least 6 days a week.  My goal is for a 15 minute mile pace (that's about 4.0 on the treadmill).
  4. I will keep doing at least 3 days a week of strength training, about 45 minutes each time. I am adding a kettle bell routine to my mix.  Everything I have read says you burn more calories in the same amount of time by using a kettle bell rather than regular weights.
  5. I will track more closely the calories I am burning during my exercise.  I am looking at several tech toys to help me with that, like a BodyBugg (as seen on Biggest Loser).  I have also found several websites that will help me calculate the burn.  I just need to make sure I have the correct deficit of calories so that I can lose the weight I need to lose to meet my goals.
  6. I have gotten slack on how much water I drink each day, so I am aiming for 8 glasses a day.
All of that will get me to June and then we'll regroup and set new goals to get to the final weight goal.  I am not sure yet exactly what my final weight goal will be.  I need to see how my body changes in the next few months and see where I think I will be comfortable.  I know the scales you find online can tell you what range they think you should be in, but I am not convinced that is always best for everyone.  We are all built differently and need to take those personal differences into account.  If I reach a weight where I am happy, healthy and I feel good, then that's where I will level off.

I will keep you posted on my progress.  I appreciate all of the wonderful and encouraging notes I have received from so many of you.
Have a happy and healthy 2011!!

No comments:

Post a Comment